NEW DELHI: At least one person was dead and “multiple” casualties were witnessed in London after a van driving at high speed struck pedestrians on the iconic London Bridge in the heart of the city on Saturday night and several people stabbed in London’s central business district and tourist hub. Police described the incident as a “terrorist” attack coming just days before Britain goes to polls. Eyewitnesses said a van sped into pedestrians on London Bridge and a man with a knife ran towards a bar.
Here are the top 10 updates on the London terror attack:
- The first reports of the vehicle collision on London Bridge came in at 10:08 pm local time.
- A second incident of stabbing in the nearby Borough Market, towards the south end of London Bridge, was reported soon after
- British Prime Minister Theresa May described the incidents as a ‘potential act of terrorism’
- Ms May will hold an emergency meeting later today
- Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan posted his statement statement on Facebook. He said he will be attending the government’s emergency Cobra meeting later this morning.
- London Bridge Station is closed and the authoritiesare asking people to avoid the area.
- Police have asked locals and tourists to avoid London Bridge and Borough Market, and also avoid sharing pictures and videos of the incidents.
- Pictures show medical staff attending to apparent victims of the attack and a helicopter buzzing just metres over London bridge, one of the major arteries in the City business district.
- At least 20 people have been admitted to six hospitals across London, according to London Ambulance Service. “We’ve also treated a number of popele at the scene for less serious injuries,” said Peter Rhodes, Director of Operations, London Ambulance Service.
- US President Donald Trump tweeted, “Whatever the United States can do to help out in London and the U. K., we will be there – WE ARE WITH YOU. GOD BLESS!” He also tweeted,”We need to be smart, vigilant and tough. We need the courts to give us back our rights. We need the Travel Ban as an extra level of safety!”